Sunday, December 30, 2007

Adventures with Exfoliation

For the past few months, I have been experimenting with many different facial products. I have extremely sensitive skin, so much so that I can't even wear earrings. Apparently my skin doesn't like having a foreign metallic object pierced through it. After perusing hundreds of fashion magazines for beauty tips (one of my favorite things to do) and trying countless home remedies/beauty products, I decided to try Clinique.

Observation #1: The salespeople were very helpful and did not force their products onto me. They didn't strap me down in their chair and slather my face with make-up that has been on other people's faces, probably containing billions of germs and therefore infecting me. (A fear of mine.)

Observation #2: The woman who talked with me had beautiful skin -- a good sign for someone looking for advice on how to deal with her own skin problems. I did not want a woman with a face rash/severe case of acne/many blemishes telling me how to take care of my face. Since her skin was flawless, I figured she knew what she was talking about. Suggestions accepted.

I bought a whole mess of products to take home and now my bathroom counter looks like my own personal Clinique kiosk. I tried them for the first time last night. 2 words: exfoliating hurts. The cleansing foam and make-up remover went well, but the exfoliation cream felt like needles burning into my skin. I ran around the bathroom fanning my face in an attempt to calm the burning sensation, looking like a scene from Home Alone.

I did notice a huge difference once I was done. My skin felt smoother than it has in a long time. The redness on my forehead subsided greatly. My face didn't feel as tight. Clinique works. I knew that my scoffing would come back to bite me on the ass. Now all I have to do is be disciplined enough to keep up with the twice-a-day routine and I will have nicer looking skin in no time.

I will, however, continue to dread the exfoliation process.

No comments: