Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Blues Trades

I have really been getting behind on my posting. This is a week late, but deal with it.

Along with many other Blues fans, I was anxiously awaiting the trade deadline. After what happened last season, it freaked me out that we might deal away some awesome players just for a last-ditch effort to make it to the playoffs. Thankfully, nothing like that happened - at least in my opinion.


We signed Barret Jackman to another few years. I see this as money well-spent. Granted, he hasn't been as influential this season as he has been in the past, but everyone has a bad year. Even at his worst, he is still better than most. We traded Bryce Salvador, which is kind of a bummer since he is a veteran Blue and he has been playing well. However, I had been thinking what it would be like if we mixed up the defensive lines a little and this was a good way to test my theories. I'm not even dwelling on the trade of Christian Backman because I don't care. I have not been impressed with him this season and have seen him make more errors than plays. No offense to him, but I am glad to see him go.

The addition of Cam Janssen really psyches me up. He is a homegrown boy from Eureka, MO, who grew up watching the Blues play. Now he has the honor of wearing the Blue note himself. He is a physical player, something the Blues need. We have good ol' King Kong (D.J. King), who I will deem as Basher Brother #1, and now we have Janssen, Basher Brother #2. (Those who have seen "The Mighty Ducks 2" know what I am referencing.) True, we could use some scoring power, but Janssen's aggressiveness can clear traffic in front of the net and open the lanes for playmakers such as Kariya and Boyes. I see the addition of Janssen as nothing but positive. He seems like a genuinely good guy who is excited to be here. And I, for one, am excited to have him.

P.S. Anyone know if Janssen is single? (Ha.) (Seriously, though.)

No comments: